May 10, 2011
Anime character promotes Windows 7 in Japan
How do you sell an operating system in Japan? With anime, of course!
Watch this commercial promoting Windows 7:
The commercial features Madobe Nanami, a fictional character created to promote the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system to build-it yourself computer owners. It has been appearing during promotional campaigns since the launch of the operating system but is not currently endorsed by Microsoft.
Madobe Nanami, whose name is a wordplay on the words madobe (meaning “by the window”) and nanami (derived from the word nana, meaning “seven” in Japanese), even has her own profile. Some notable facts include:
- Born on April 6, 1992.
- 160 cm (5’3″) tall.
- Lives in Akihabara (the first scene in the aforementioned commercial shows the actual main street in Akihabara).
- Her favorite foods are sweet potatoes, milk and anpan.
- Has a black cat named Ultimate.
- You can like her on her official Facebook page.
- In 2011 she passed the entrance examination of one of the universities in Tokyo.
That’s how serious anime gets in Japan.